Race information and signup links for 6 hour mountain bike race
Mossy Bank Solo Cyclist View courtesy Evan Williams
On Sunday, August 7th, Mossy Bank Park will host the 3rd annual The Hills on Fire Enduro XC mountain bike race from 9am-5pm (race time is 10am-4pm).
The course is located in a young Hemlock stand with easy access for spectators and family and friends to watch. The course will be about 7.5 miles in length with a good mix of single and double track. There will be a 6 hour window to complete 4 laps of the course (solo riders will need to complete all four laps, while riders for two-person teams will need to do two laps each). The mixed-couples teams are down to only 9 spots left as of right now.
Throughout the course will be 5 timed segments (3.5 miles) out of a total 7.5 mile long course and the timed segments will be mostly downhill and Single-track.
The event is a fundraiser for Mossy Bank Park. There is an active Bald Eagle nest, be sure to check it out!
You can register for the race at https://www.bikereg.com/the-hills-on-fire.
The event’s name is a nod to the past and a natural disaster that actually led to the park being developed.
Located on 167.5 acres of land at an elevation of 500 feet offering breathtaking views overlooking the river and the community of Bath below, Mossy Bank Park was donated to the village of Bath by the Davenport Estate in 1958, but remained undeveloped until 1963 when the face of the cliff was hit by lightning which caused a forest fire that lasted for days. The Hills on Fire Enduro XC’s name offers a nod to the event that transformed the hillside into what is now a beautiful park visited by many for hiking, picnicking, as well as mountain biking.
Any questions can be emailed to Taylor Crowe at Wheels Unlimited ([email protected]) or by calling the shop at 607-776-6609.
The registration link is: https://www.bikereg.com/the-hills-on-fire
About Mossy Bank:
Mossy Bank Park is 167.5 acres and was donated to the village of Bath by the Davenport Estate in 1958. It was undeveloped until 1963 when the face of the cliff was hit by lightning which caused a forest fire that lasted for days. Roads were cut through the woods to allow fire equipment to reach the site of the fire. After the fire was out, the village board decided to develop the property into a public park. The park was developed to include pavilions, picnic areas, playgrounds, restrooms, hiking trails and a scenic overlook.
The pond site of 14 acres was purchased and a 5.2 acre pond was constructed in 1966. It provides water for fishing, outdoor activities and fire protection. The Mossy Bank Nature Center was constructed in 1998 to provide a setting for indoor study of nature, displays, activities and programs of interest for the public.