See the full schedule for Steuben County this summer
BATH – Launched in 2022 as a nine-week Steuben pilot program with produce from Lowery Family Farms, the popular “Veggie Van” will resume operations beginning July 11, 12 and 13 in Addison, Avoca, Bath, Corning, Hornell, Painted Post, and Woodhull in Steuben County.
Sponsored by Cornell Cooperative Extension of Steuben County, the county Office for the Aging, Corning Foundation, Blue Cross Excellus and both the Lowery and Spice farms, the van drew between 30-50 customers at each two-hour stop last year, accepting payments through cash, credit, check, EBT/SNAP and WIC and Seniors Farmers Market Nutrition Program vouchers.
The success led the agencies to bring the service back this summer through the end of summer:
- Addison: 1-3 pm; Thursdays, July 13-Sept. 28 at 42 Williams Street.
- Avoca: 1-3 pm, Wednesdays, July 12- Sept. 27 at Avoca Village Park.
- Bath: 1-3 pm, Tuesdays, July 11-Sept. 16 at Lakeview Apartments.
- Corning: 10 am-noon, Tuesdays, July 11-Sept. 16 at Corning Senior Center.
- Hornell: 10 am – noon, Wednesdays, July 12- Sept. 27 at Hornell Center Street Pavilion.
- Painted Post: 4 pm – 6 pm, Tuesdays, July 11-Sept. 16 at Village Square Apartments.
- Woodhull: 10 am – noon; Thursdays, July 13-Sept. 28 at Woodhull Town Hall.
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Steuben County’s SNAP Ed Southern Finger Lakes Program will provide resources and lessons on how to cook the produce that was distributed.
Sponsoring agency Steuben County Office For The Aging reports its Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) coupons are available beginning July 1, and will be distributed by AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers at each Veggie Van locations July 25-27.
Individuals unable to attend the Veggie Van locations can call 607-664-2298 for other options.
For more information on the Veggie Van, call (607) 664-2300 or (607) 664-2298.